Monday, April 5, 2010

Scratch Up Your Mirrors, I DARE YOU!

I had this fabulous, long and large mirror downstairs. A vintage frame, cool paint, unique shape... a small portion of the silver foiling had been scratched, but it still had sooo much potential. The problem is, I have a lot of awesome found items in the basement with potential. :) In a plea to keep some of my other future projects safe, I let my husband haul the mirror out, as I had not yet come up with a plan to disguise the scratched lining. I kid you not, when I say that I came across this picture, (from Mitzi's Collectibles) exactly three days after I "lost" my wonderful mirror! So disappointing! So I scooped up a mirror at a garage sale, so I could still give this a try!

My *new* mirror could not be more fitting for the boys nautical pirate bathroom. I scratched off the back with a screw driver and some wire mesh, until I got enough of the silvery liner removed, in an interesting pattern that reminds me of sideways rain. Last years hunting map was glued to the back, so it peeks through the exposed glass, lending so much character! One of a kind.

I learned today, that it can be really challenging to photograph mirrors!

This silver starfish was a gem from a garage sale a few months ago, and I had planned to use it in my jewelry displays. I think it adds the perfect touch to the mirror, though, and its already glued down really well, so I can't really change my mind now!! :)


So whoever found my wonderful mirror, I hope you find something awesome to do with it!

Ciao ciao,
~Melissa

2 comments:

  1. What a great mirror. I also love the dino suitcase. I will for sure be visiting your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. Love the mirror and I hope hubby learned a lesson about making you part with your treasures. :)

    ReplyDelete