Monday, May 9, 2011

Harvesting Grandma Zink's Rhubarb

So there was a huge gnarled rectangle of dirt and mud in a prominent place in the yard, that we all thought must be a compost pile. The placement did seem odd, but I didn't think too much of it. Well, on Easter we had friends over for an egg hunt, and discovered the "compost" pile was actually rhubarb! On Sunday I couldn't wait any longer, and so I decided to harvest one stalk from each plant. I got enough for a batch of my favorite dessert, hands down... RHUBARB SQUARES.




Cannot wait for many more harvests this season!




~~~






And the countdown begins now... how many pints of chopped rhubarb can I harvest this season??




So far, 1.75 pints.

2 comments:

  1. I love rhubarb! So are we taking bets on how much you think you will harvest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, let's start collecting some guesses! I have no idea how long the growing season will even be! I say 12.5 pints...

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete