Monday, April 9, 2012

Weekend Adventure in Wrangell, Alaska

Petro = Rock ~ Glyph = Carving

Here are a few shots from the amazing and mysterious Petroglyph Beach in Wrangell. Many symbols suggest Tlingit ties, though it is not known for sure who carved these designs. The oldest dated settlements in this area were about 10,000 years ago, and two other significant times of settlement were 5,000 and 3,000 years ago. These petroglyphs could have been carved during these times, or more recent times. The fact that they are located below the tide prevents scientists from being able to determine their exact age.

Most believe the early ancestors of today's Tlingit carved these petroglyphs.

I missed the killer whale last time I was here. This time, the woman who lives in the house on the beach graciously called me over to show me what was in their yard! Absolutely incredible!

She also pointed out the owl nearby, that I had also never seen before.

Depending on the light, the images can catch your attention differently.

It is fascinating to me that we will never know what purpose these carvings served. Your guess is as good as anyone's. I couldn't see any rhyme or reason to the locations, and some are much more worn than others which could mean they are older.

I tried to take some of the photos so that they would be like hidden pictures for the boys... Can you find the Petroglyph?! :)

This was a gorgeous evening in Wrangell, surrounded by such beautiful history.

They say there are about 40 or so petroglyphs on this beach, however new ones do turn up. Some are very faint from hundreds of years of tides washing over them... So really, there is no way to know for sure how many! I took pictures of 18 of them this trip, and will have to go compare with the pictures I took last year. I will post more pictures later...

1 comment:

  1. Very, very cool. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete